Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is my apartment responsible for paying the pest control bill for bed bugs?

I just recently discovered my bed is infested with bed bugs. I've lived in my apartment for 3 yrs and have never had this problem. I researched this bug on the internet and read that most people get bugs from traveling and staying in a hotel or living in an apartment and the bug traveling through pipes, cracks, etc. Since I have not traveled or stayed in a hotel recently I can only guess they came from another tenant. Pest control came out to spray my house/room and left me with a bill of $200. The apartment manager said the apt. complex is not responsible for the bill because there is no way to prove the bed bugs came from another tenant or within the apt. somewhere. He ';thinks'; I brought them in from somewhere else. Is it my responsibility to pay this bill or should the apartment complex pay it? Thanks. Is my apartment responsible for paying the pest control bill for bed bugs?
Traveling is only the most common way to get these creatures. If you ever go over someone else's home and sit on their couch or bed or even carpet for that matter, you can get these bugs. Do you go ANYWHERE that may explain you picking up these bugs?





If not, the only other way to prove your case is to ask others living in your apartment building. If none of them have bed bugs, then the responsibility is yours. If others have bed bugs, then while I still don't see how this is your landlords fault, you may have a case for reimbursement.

No comments:

Post a Comment