Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rental Business: Bed bugs found by tenant. Who should pay the pest control company in this case..?

Hi, I am landlord. The tenant in a triplex called me earlier mentioning he has bed bugs. The tenant also mentioned he knows how the bed bugs got there - he went to visit a lady who had bed bugs and probably carried some in his cloth back to his unit. It should cost around $500 to treat his unit and 2 other units (as it is a triplex all units should be treated). Unfortunately, I'm not sure he has the money to pay even if he had to. Still, I wanted to ask who should pay the pest control company?


me, the tenant or maybe 50/50? THANKS.Rental Business: Bed bugs found by tenant. Who should pay the pest control company in this case..?
He brought them in, so how and why are you in anyway responsible?Rental Business: Bed bugs found by tenant. Who should pay the pest control company in this case..?
Bedbugs are a tenant responsibility. You are aware how this infestation occurred, and it is the tenant's responsibility to pay for his error. It may not be necessary to treat all units if this is caught early on. Naturally, a pest control company will tell you that you should, but bedbugs are generally restricted to the unit they have infested.
Im not too sure what a triplex is, so forgive me if I make a poor judgment..





However based on my knowledge as a landlord, if my tenant has a pest issue and has claimed direct responsibility for such, then any costs involved in sorting out the problem will be at a full cost to him.





If he doesn't have the money and you want it remedied immediately then go ahead, but it should be added to the rent account, or taken from his deposit at the end of his tenancy.





Good luck
I would think he has to pay it since he admits it was his fault. If he cannot pay for it out of pocket, could you take it out of his security deposit assuming you had him pay one when moving in? I would think that would be fair.
TENANT!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment